Thursday, July 30, 2009

Root Letters and Shadows


Dead Sea (Jordanian mountains in the background)

My first class of the summer is over, and I only wish that every class that I ever took could have been a five week concentrated intensive. I loved it. My classmates and professor were amazing; everything just clicked. I am so glad now that I chose to study Biblical Hebrew here from teachers who speak the language. One of my classmates, after a long explanation of the Hebrew root letters—most every Hebrew word is constructed from a three letter root—asked: “So you mean that Hebrew doesn’t just have words that are more abstract like English? Is it fair to say that every Hebrew word has a direct connection to something tangible that can be seen and felt?” My professor, an Israeli, shrugged like he was talking to a child, “Yes, well, of course."

Ein Gedi: "My beloved is to me a cluster of henna blossoms in the vineyards of Ein Gedi." Song of Songs 1

No, no, I know what you were thinking. “Are you, Jenny, speaking the language?” Thanks for making me feel uncomfortable. I start a Modern Hebrew course next week: there’s hope.

I wasn’t going to mention it, but “hope” is an interesting word, isn’t it? I can’t seem to pass up this opportunity. As soon as I typed it, my mind was unleashed after the events of today. In Israel, and in the Jewish nation, today, Tisha B’Av, was a day of fasting and prayer, lamenting the destruction of the temple. Every year, this holiday commemorates the fall of both the First and Second Temple. Only solemn scriptures can be read and mourning clothes are worn. I caught a tour of the Temple Mount (controlled by Muslims), and as I ascended the ramp and looked over the crowded Western Wall, my heart hurt. I love your Torah; I really, really, really love your Torah, Israel. I love your temple. I love that the glory of your God filled the temple (2 Chronicles 5). But it saddens me that your hope is set on Moses (John 5). Moses, not once, in his five books in which God gave the foundations for the tabernacle, the predecessor to your temple, spoke of “hope.” I empathized today, but I didn’t find myself reading only passages of lament; I found psalms of joy, for my hope is set on the righteousness not accomplished through a type or a shadow or a tangible representation that express an idea, like the temple, but the substance, the actual shed flesh and blood, of the Son of David (1 Peter 1, Hebrews 7 & 8, Colossians 2).


Site of the most famous underdog victory in history (1 Samuel 17)

Yes, I have done awesome, fun, things the last few weeks. Above you'll notice the Valley of Elah (1 Samuel 17), where David is said to have defeated Goliath. My school group stood from the Philistines’ base. Also I have uploaded pictures of Ein Gedi (see Song of Songs 1 and it is also believed to hosts the cave where David hid from Saul) and the nearby Dead Sea (the “Salt Sea” or the “Sea of Arabah” in the Bible). Visiting the places I have always read about will continue to be fascinating, I’m sure. Maybe when I have a string of more boring weeks, I will give more details.

1 comment: